Thursday, May 27, 2010

Wow. So it's been 2 weeks today since I left Texas; it's wahnsinn how quickly time flies!
I guess a lot of it has to do with me being so busy. Every day is a new adventure in the office. I've been doing a lot of secretarial sorting, scanning, and other busy-body 's' verbs, but I am truly enjoying it. I know that the students I am doing this for are soon to have the experience of a life time- one that I, too, was lucky enough to have.
Looking at where you are now, then tracing back the steps that brought you to this place can be quite enlightening. I think of myself as an 8th grader, offered the chance to travel to Germany with our Sister-City exchange. I had no knowledge of the German language nor the culture, itself. I didn't have much urging me to fly off to this foreign land, either- I just kind of had a feeling.
One Sister-City exchange and a 10 month stay later, here I am, soon to turn 20 and carving out a career for myself.
I think I'm kind of going through "that" phase right now; really expanding my mind and digging deep, trying to figure out what, exactly I want to do. I know that I want a career where I am helping people, where I am not working in an office/sit-down environment, and where I can be creative.
As of yet, I am really considering spending this year's winter break in Nepal with Passage International (http://www.passageinternational.com/ -check them out!), volunteering in the Langtang Valley in a school. I want to get involved in this work; I guess this trip would be an "experiment", huh?

The past few days have been pretty cool. I've been making time for exercise again, something that -with finals at school- I'd been cheating myself on. I can't argue with myself against a run through the emerald-green forest that borders the town, and the streets are quite pleasant as well- I can't help but sneak a quick glance through the bakery windows as I pass by.
I seem to get a lot of stares, too. I figure I kind of blend in with the blonde hair, etc., but maybe it's my jogging shorts? I don't mind all too much. The trick is to just stare back.
Another great thing about my work- we cook for one another. Ruediger, our spunky, young logistics manager goes "einkaufen" (grocery shopping) and we take turns being chef. Today was my day- I made a stir-fry with lots of veggies and chicken and a spicy Thai chili sauce served over Jasmin rice. I experimented with something rather new- a raw cabbage salad with lemon juice (the lime had mold), curry powder (cilantro's rare in Germany), and peanuts. It turned out to be pretty tasty, and it was nice to cook for my coworkers. Tomorrow's menu: Mexican salad with guacamole and homemade whole wheat tortillas.

So it's already 9:15 and I originally sat down with the mission of making my friend a birthday card. I best get to that.
Plans for the weekend: go to Hannover and hang out with the Texas State students on exchange; possibly have dinner with Hannah and her Dad.

I'll post some pictures soon!
Liebe Gruesse aus Koelle,
Hylary

1 comment:

Seeks Same said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.